New from CAPCA
Need a guest speaker for your yacht club or group?
Our Continuing Education program for 2017 is here. Go to CALENDAR / EDUCATION / Register for courses.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION...
Looking for information about a maritime-related subject? Click on the links below to explore our collection of Internet resources. You don't have to be a member to take advantage of this service. If you know of other sites that you'd like us to add to the list, please send the URL (website address) to email@example.com. Please note that CAPCA is not responsible for content on external websites.
Here's our list so far:
Welcome to the Chesapeake Area
Professional Captains Association
We're a professional organization for Coast Guard-licensed captains who operate primarily on the Chesapeake Bay and the East Coast of the United States. We also serve the maritime public.
Although our captains' licenses range from small passenger vessels to oceangoing ships, the bulk of our members operate boats of 100 tons or less—such as tourboats, water-taxis, towboats, and charterboats. Some also work as delivery captains for transporting recreational boats between ports.
BASIC WEBSITE ASSISTANCE FOR MEMBERS: if you're a member and are new to this website, click on this link to a PDF to get started. Membership renewal instructions and other important info for members is on the MEMBERS KIT menu tab.
If you are not a member, you DO NOT have to login to view all the public pages.
Here's what we can do for you . . .
• If you’re looking for a captain who can help you with boat deliveries, individual instruction on your own vessel, or skippering a boat for a maritime company or a private yachtowner, we can serve as your clearinghouse. To learn more about this program, click on HOW OUR JOB BOARD WORKS. To post a free ad for a captain, click on HIRE A CAPTAIN.
• If you're already a CAPCA member, log in to the Members Only section and access members-only resources, including job board postings, discounts and other opportunities.
• If you don't have a license now, but would like to earn one, we’ll help steer you in the right direction. Read GET A CAPTAINS LICENSE.
• If you're a member of the maritime community, welcome! Please use our RESOURCES LIST in the column at the left and browse through the other pages of this website. And we invite you to attend our regular monthly public meetings and listen to our knowledgeable GUEST SPEAKERS and sign up for our CONTINUING EDUCATION courses.
• If you're looking for a guest speaker for your yacht club or other group, go to our new SPEAKERS BUREAU page, read about our speakers program, and click on the online form.
Attend our monthly meetings, meet our members, and listen to our speakers.
When: We meet on the fourth Monday of every month (except August and December). Our pre-meeting social hour starts at 6:30 p.m. and our speaker usually begins his or her presentation at 7:15 p.m. The public is welcome. To check our speaker schedule, click HERE.
Where: The Annapolis Elks Club Lodge building at 2 Pythian Drive in Edgewater, Maryland, just west of Annapolis.
Driving directions to our meetings . . .
Take U.S. Route 50 to Exit 22 (Parole and Maryland Route 2 south) and drive to the traffic light at the intersection of Route 2 and Grand Oak Avenue. Turn left onto Grand Oak Avenue and take the immediate left onto Pythian Drive. Continue straight ahead a few hundred feet to the Elks Lodge parking lot. When you enter the building, turn left and walk to the second large conference room on your right, near the end of the hall. We'll be there. HERE'S A MAP.
CAPCA is going paperless.
We are committed to handling all communications and business transactions on line to ensure the security of your sensitive data and to safeguard your payments.
We also want to help save paper and improve efficiency by asking you to use the electronic forms on our website for joining and registering for courses and events.
To read about the security features of this website, click on the top menu tab ABOUT US, dropdown WEBSITE SECURITY.
We use the secure PayPal website for all payments. When you want to make a payment to CAPCA, you’ll automatically be directed to the PayPal website, where you can enter your credit card information securely each time. When you pay, PayPal sends you a confirming receipt by e-mail for your records.
However, if you sign up for a PayPal account, it’ll make future payments easier because PayPal will have your details on file. Setting up a secure account is FREE and easy. https://www.paypal.com/us
Please don’t send us paper checks via postal mail.
We also ask that you contact us on line, by clicking on the CONTACT US tab in the top menu. On this page you’ll find the relevant e-mail links for your comments or questions.
Calling us on the phone or mailing a paper letter is definitely NOT the fastest way to have your question or concern addressed.
Not a member yet?
We offer you
• JOB OPPORTUNITIES
• CONTINUING EDUCATION
• PROFESSIONAL MENTORING
• KNOWLEDGEABLE SPEAKERS
• FIELD TRIPS AND EVENTS
ON MARITIME TOPICS
Want to sharpen your mariner's skills?
Take one of our winter courses
(Photo by Terry Slattery)
Open to the public: Members must log in to get members discount
• PRACTICAL MARINE RADAR
• VOYAGE PLANNING AND ELECTRONIC CHARTING
• FIRST AID / CPR / AED FOR BOATERS
• BASIC MARINE ELECTRICITY
For details, go to CALENDAR / EDUCATION / Register for Courses